Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Old ways are not gold anymore


By:Edna Ipalei


They say “Old Is Gold”-old ideas, Ways of living, trends and traditions are always the best and irreplaceable. But is this always true?

I must confess that I was a staunch believer of this saying. Not until my awful encounter in a certain finance office when it dawned on me that some old things, just do not work any more.

I reached the office at 9.00 am and found five other people waiting to be served. So, patiently, I sat on the bench and waited for my turn Wait a minute! Something was amiss. The line was not moving.

Seeing that none of the people in the queue were willing to tell me what the problem was. I walked to the counter.

What I found there left me more worried than angry. Slumped on a chair was a fat, grey haired, big-bellied man. He gave me a tired look, and in my head I wondered if he was unwell. But he did not give me a chance to utter a word.

“Young girl! What is your problem? I have just told others to wait on that bench. You young people are always in a hurry. If you want to be faster than me, just go a head”. He blurted out; a wide grin on his face indicating that he had made his point clear.

My Goodness!? Where are all the young people? I am disturbed to see young energetic and competent people out there looking for jobs while all the offices are full of old and tired goons. All in the name of experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment